She Hath Done What She Could in the Home

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Thinking ahead.....

I'm finding healthy eating takes effort.  Many times you have to think ahead so that you have a "plan".  You know the saying "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!"  I think this is especially true when it comes to eating right.  If I don't plan ahead and take healthy snacks with us on outings, I have to resort to my "best" choice at Subway or McDonalds.  Today, we went to Subway and I got a veggie sandwich with a veggie patty on oat wheat (5 g fiber) and loaded up with every veggie there!  So, not too bad in a pinch.


My #1 son ALWAYS wants pancakes- really- every single morning this is what he says!  Of course, you can't eat pancakes every morning but I wanted to grant his request, so here I have prepared a batch to soak overnight.   In the morning he will have healthy, homemade pancakes with freshly ground whole wheat, oat bran, raw wheat germ, cage free eggs, raw sugar and rolled oatmeal.  I feel better about that than Eggos!   The recipe calls for even MORE healthy items, but I'm doing the basic recipe for a trial and I'll add things as we go - you can find it here.

My kids are ALWAYS hungry, so tonight I tried some cookies I got from the Chetday Amazing Cookie email group.  They are great I must say - they can snack on these when hunger strikes!  I'm getting my second fridge on Tuesday and can't wait! That way I can make up big batches and freeze them!  



------------------------------------------------------
Traditional Cookie Recipe Courtesy of Will
Bontrager- From ChetDay subscription to Amazing Cookies
------------------------------------------------------

Good Will's Anytime Cookie Recipe

Excellent cookies, especially the second day.
High in
fiber, low on the glycemic scale. Good for
breakfast,
lunch, anytime.

1 cup stone ground whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 stick (4 oz) softened butter
3 eggs
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup pecan pieces
4 cups oatmeal (old fashioned)

Mix together whole wheat flour, salt, and soda.
Set
aside.

In separate bowl mix together brown sugar and
butter.
Add the eggs and mix. Add peanut butter and mix.
Add
water and vanilla and mix well.

Add dry ingredients from above.

Stir together, then add pecan pieces.

Add the oatmeal, 1 cup at a time.

When all is mixed well, drop by spoonfuls on
ungreased
cookie sheet.

Bake at 350F for 10 to 13 minutes.

Store covered.

0 comments:

Post a Comment