She Hath Done What She Could in the Home

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Giving Thanks!

Happy Happy Thanksgiving to my blog friends! A special shout out to my family - all who are dispersed this year. We will one day have another "Thanksgiving Palooza!" I miss you all and love you dearly! (There, now it's like we are together isn't it??)

Sweater: Merona Cardi bought at 75% off
Tucker for Target Tunic: bought at 75% off
Mossimo Jeggings: Bought at 50% off sale ($10) and they are fab and comfy!
Boots: Target Kaden
So surprise, my ENTIRE outfit is from Target - AGAIN. It's a pattern with me!

I am proud of my first Pioneer Woman Pecan Pie! Umm, actually do you know that Pecan Pie is just pecans and like 4 kinds of sugar mixed in?? Toxic!! But delicious!
Smells so good........I also made an apple pie with apples from Gma's tree, 2 pumpkin pies and Peggy's Pudding as my mom called it- and that's just for dessert folks! I bought gluten free crusts because I was afraid to venture making them on my own for such an important occasion!
And now, enjoy this article - taken from Brother Hugh Fulford's email newsletter, News & Notes. Good things to think about!

UNUSUAL THINGS FOR WHICH TO BE THANKFUL

This week many of us will gather with family and friends and enjoy a bountiful Thanksgiving feast. We will talk and laugh and reminisce and swap stories. We will watch football. But will we actually give thanks beyond the perfunctory "blessing" before we eat? How many of us get so sidetracked by the excitement of the day that we forget what it is all about (not that thanksgiving really is a day or can [or should be] limited to a single day of the year)?

Paul, the great apostle, wrote: "…giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ" (Eph. 5:20). Paul, did you say all things? Yes, that is what the apostle said.

Here are some unusual things (not original with me) that we should be thankful for:

* Be thankful that you don't already have everything you desire. If you did, what would there be to look forward to?

* Be thankful when you don't know. It gives you the opportunity to learn.

* Be thankful for the difficult times. During those times you grow. (Cf. James 1:2-3).

* Be thankful for limitations. They give opportunities for improvement.

* Be thankful for a new challenge. It will build strength and character.

* Be thankful for your mistakes. They will teach you valuable lessons.

* Be thankful when you are weary. It means you've made a difference.

* Be thankful for the mess after a party (or Thanksgiving dinner). It means you have friends and family.

* Be thankful for the taxes you pay. It means you are employed.

* Be thankful for the clothes that fit a little snug. It means you have plenty to eat.

* Be thankful for a shadow that watches you work. It means you are out in the sunshine.

* Be thankful for a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning, and gutters that need fixing. It means you have a house.

* Be thankful for the spot you find at the far end of the parking lot. It means that you are capable of walking. (Have you ever noticed that those of us who need the exercise the most, always look for a parking place nearest the entrance?)

* Be thankful for all the complaining you hear about our government. It means that we have freedom of speech.

* Be thankful for a big heating bill. It means you are warm.

* Be thankful for the piles of laundry and ironing. It means your loved ones are near.

* Be thankful for the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours. It means that you are alive.

It is easy to be thankful for the good things. A life of rich fulfillment comes to those who also can be thankful for the setbacks.


9 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving Peggy! You look great and that pie looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable outfit! Hope you had a great T-giving! I nominated your blog over at mine for a bloggy award! :) http://chasingdavies.blogspot.com/2010/11/happy-black-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated Thanksgiving. You look so pretty. I love that tunic and the pie looks delicious. Pecan pie is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all of your outfits! Did you go to Target recently to get the Tucker items? I thought about swinging by today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jules- The last couple of times I've been in Target in last few days, it appears maybe they have pulled all the Tucker for salvage. I'm not sure though as I would see a piece here and there. It's worth a try as every Target is different! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh another tip - they send their salvage to Goodwill here - so if you can't find something, you might check there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy belated Thanksgiving! Even though I don't like pecans, that pie has me wishing I did! It looks delish!

    I love the list of things to be thankful for. It's so true and great reminder for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pie turned out awesome! I love cooking/baking for Thanksgiving - it gives you such a warm, homey feeling - I'll bet your kids were in heaven with those goodies you made :) You looked beautiful for Thanksgiving, I love your hair curled!

    ReplyDelete