With Maggie's tutelage, I was able to complete my first hat in 2010, just in the nick of time! I am so proud! I never make anything! It feels good!
Well, the year is just about ready to come to an end- so hard to believe. Where has the time gone? I started my blog a few years back, focusing on food couponing and healthy eating, and this year I stumbled upon fashion blogging quite by accident because I discovered Anthropologie had a store in my area and I googled Anthropologie outfits and found, guess what??? Anthroholic!! I was hooked! I followed link to link and found a wonderland of fashion ideas! It's been a fun year jumping in and participating in the whole "OOTD" craze and along the way I've learned some lessons!
1. Beauty comes in many different packages! It's been great to find fashion blogs where the women are all different shapes and sizes, and have all different styles and ideas! I gain something from all of them! I, like many women, can always find fault with my own size, but I am learning to love me, flaws and all. As long as I am living a healthy lifestyle, I am learning to be happy with me! Reading many of your blogs has helped me a lot in this area of my life.
2. There are substitutes for just about every look out there! While I love being able to buy a quality item that will stand the test of time, it's just not possible for me to buy 100% Anthro, Jcrew, or the like, so I make the most of my trend shopping by studying the stores I like and then re-creating them via a less expensive route. It's a challenge and it's fun!
3. Gain from others but be yourself! I have learned so many things from bloggers this year that I would have NEVER tried before! Reading all the fashion blogs has really helped me step out of my "Gymboree Matchy Mode"! It's wonderful to gain inspiration from other bloggers, but I have learned I need to make it my own. There is nothing creative about seeing a blog friend buy an outfit, then go buy the exact same out and wear it. I've learned to use style principles and apply them to what I already have.
4. Having style doesn't equal shopping! This is a big one! When I first started blogging, I felt I had to always be buying something new to post. Thanks to wonderful bloggers like Kendi and Elaine, I have learned it actually takes more creativity and style to work with what you've got! I've learned I actually function better with less! Like Coco Chanel said "A girl should be two things - classy and fabulous!" Neither of which require a credit card!
5. Even if you are only staying at home all day, get up and get dressed! After having 3 kids in 1.5 years, I spent quite a bit of time in my "uniform" of tee shirt and sweats! When my twins were 3, I decided to get with it and exercise and eat right, I lost 40 pounds and it was fun to get dressed - even though I was only at home! There are no more important people to look good for than your family!
Thanks to everyone who stops by here to read and know that I appreciate all your comments and feedback!
Happiest of New Years to All! Here's to a wonderful 2011!