She Hath Done What She Could in the Home

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Words of Wisdom from Mary



In my recent daily Bible reading via You Version I was reading in Luke chapter 1 where Mary, the mother of Jesus, finds out she will be having a baby. She goes to visit her cousin, Elizabeth, who is pregnant with John at the time. In talking with her cousin, Mary expresses this thought in verses 46-47.....And Mary said, "My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior".

I started thinking about myself - and my innermost thoughts and workings. Does MY soul magnify the Lord? Does MY spirit rejoice in God my Savior? In theory, I would say yes, but practically speaking, many times I am overcome with worldly cares and shove MY Savior to the background.

I think one of the hardest things about putting spiritual matters first is we don't feel it is a pressing issue. I feel the pressure to get the bills paid on time, get the lessons taught for homeschool before the charter teacher arrives in 20 days, get the groceries bought so meals can be made for hungry people. But when it comes to the spiritual, it feels like we have all the time in the world. I'm young, I'm healthy, I have time......................the truth is written in James chapter 4:

Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit”—yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.” (James 4:13-15 ESV)

The truth is we are not promised tomorrow and life is short. During our time here, how very important it is that we TAKE the time, MAKE the time for our soul to magnify the Lord and for our spirit to rejoice in God. Staying in the Word will make these things a reality in our lives.

1 comment:

  1. Very encouraging girlfriend. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete