She Hath Done What She Could in the Home

Thursday, December 6, 2007

Breakfast- make it delicious and nutritous!





I thought I would blog today about two of my favorite, standby breakfast foods! We rotate these into our morning routine often.

First is good old fashioned oatmeal! I make the basic oatmeal (4 grams fiber) and add ground flaxmeal to it (4 grams) and wheat germ (2 grams fiber) and a sprinkle of walnuts and a spoon of natural organic peanut butter for protein and staying power - top with a teaspoon of organic maple syrup and some organic fat free milk and it's like eating a cookie!

One kitchen tool I can't live without is my Back to Basics Egg and Muffin Toaster! I got it at Target for around $30 and it has been worth every penny! You can cook a round egg, a meat and toast an english muffin all at the same time - 4 minutes later you have a healthy version of a McMuffin! I use whole wheat english muffins to start (4 grams fiber) and I use 1 whole egg + an egg white in the pan -then either canadian bacon or a fully cooked turkey sausage patty (the machine won't COOK raw meats, just steams and heats up previously cooked ones). I jazzed it up a bit today for DH and made him a spinach, low-fat cheese omelet style with canadian bacon (low-fat). Did you know eggs are the world's most perfect source of protein?

Many mornings we now also add a Vitamix smoothie - I feel so good knowing that before 9am, we have in several servings of fruit and vegetables! Today I made the kids "orange sherbet" for breakfast - organic frozen oj concentrate, carrot, cabbage and ice - they ate every bite! For myself I made a Mango drink - mango, banana, strawberry, an orange, and ice. This is what the photo shows.

0 comments:

Post a Comment