She Hath Done What She Could in the Home

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Financial Shape 2008!


Over at Crystal's blog we are checking in today with our stats and goals. I did meet my goal of coming under my grocery budget in February (under by $335 - written on in another post). I also made some new health goals for our family in that post.

Now on to March goals!

1. I am using cash for groceries this month. I put even less $$ into my envelope than last month to see if I can do it. I'm not sure I can because this month I had to order some supplements (Amazing Grass Wheat Grass, Nutiva Coconut Oil, Nutiva Protein Powder, Sustenex Probiotics, Eskimo-3 Fish Oil, Carlson Fish Oil for the kids, Esther-C and I few others I can't remember right now!) I am going to try. I am doing less "couponing" and more whole food shopping, so it's taking me more time to compare stores and prices of organic produce and lean meats.

2. I want to apply some extra $$ to our workout room and bedroom remodel. Hopefully I will be able to do that this month.

3. Keep the kids going on their financial path! In February, we started helping the kids manage their money. I created an Excel spreadsheet - they plug in their earnings and it calculates their contribution to the church (15%), savings (30%) and expenses (what they can spend 55%). This is a very basic plan as they are still very young. They are not paid for regular household chores, but I am "hiring" them for extra jobs such as folding towels and cutting grass. My 9 year old now has 2 grass cutting jobs and all 3 of my kids take turns collecting recycling bottles. I want to get the new book Young Bucks as it seems to have lots of great ideas for kids!

1 comment:

  1. Great Job! Keep to up!

    Also, I love that you value the fact that we MUST teach our children about money. It is so important.

    ReplyDelete