She Hath Done What She Could in the Home

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Take a Pass! My method to bargain shopping!

I have a motto I live by that has helped me build a wardrobe by following the principals of "Take A Pass". Try these simple steps and see how they work for you!


1. "Take a Pass" by your own closet.
Once in a while I will buy something, come home excited, go to hang it in my closet, only to find I ALREADY own something very similar to the item I just bought! How many basic items do you have and how many do you need? How many cardigans? Jeans? Accessories? I even find it helpful to make lists each season of the key pieces I am looking for, keep it in my purse and refer to it when I'm shopping to help me remember what the essential pieces are that I want to acquire while still sticking to my budget.

2. "Take a Pass" by your favorite stores frequently.
In order to use the "Take a Pass" method, you have to be willing to go by your favorite stores often to take advantage of the markdowns or even returns people make. For example, we have a ROSS right beside our grocery store, so once a week, when I head to the grocery, I run in and take a look. It only takes me a minute, because I know what I am looking for and because I frequent the store, I am familiar with the stock. Do you have a mall near your work? Stop by on your lunch hour. Some stores like Target and Kohl's open early at 8am and you can pass by after dropping the kids at school or before heading into work.

3. Take a Pass on the item!
This is the hardest one by far because it takes patience and discipline! When I really like a new item I don't buy it at full price. I try it on and figure out what size I like the best and then wait......... I wait for it to get marked down. Many times I watch items go through several markdowns before I finally feel I can buy it while sticking to my budget. A great example is the recent Jcrew Black Blossoms Blazer I got for $29. It started at $118, I saw it go to $79, then $49, then $35, then $29 before I bought it!
Let's face it - I'm not going to die if I don't get a certain item of clothing. This isn't a matter of life or death. (It may feel like it to me at the time, but in the grand scheme of things, really it's very insignificant.) If the item is still there when it comes time for markdowns, great for me! If it isn't, I know there is always another gem waiting in the wings. I have employed this method very successfully at Target on their Merona line of dresses - they start at $39.99 and almost every one I own I purchased between $9.99 and $12.99. I try to buy classic pieces that don't go out of style and are made of quality materials.

Using the "Take a Pass" method takes a little more time and effort, but the rewards are worth it and the process is fun!

0 comments:

Post a Comment