She Hath Done What She Could in the Home

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Trying a few healthy ideas from Nourishing Traditions.


I've been reading Nourishing Traditions and it's an eye opener and I'm already considered a health nut!

Last night I ground some wheat flour and put it to soak in buttermilk overnight. This morning we had pancakes and they were so delicious! The kids loved them - we put organic butter from grass-fed cows on them with pure maple syrup - yuuumm!! For our mid-morning snack - we took the left-over pancakes and put natural peanut butter and organic jam on them, rolled them up and had a green smoothie. Good stuff!

I have pinto beans soaking in lemon juice right now - I'm anxious to see if the soaking helps with digestion problems.

I've also been soaking our oatmeal overnight in yogurt and it's great. This process of soaking is supposed to break down the phytates that are non-digestible and make the nutrients in these foods more readily available for absorption. The study that Dr. Weston Price did (the inspiration of the cookbook) is pretty remarkable.

0 comments:

Post a Comment